Gun salute given to LeT freedom fighter martyred in Mirbazar attack

Srinagar – After killing of Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) freedom fighter on Saturday evening on Srinagar-Jammu highway among four others, freedom fighters today on Sunday appeared at the funeral of the slain and fired a volley of bullets in air offering gun salute.

On Saturday, freedom fighter attacked a police party near Mirbazar in Islamabad, resulted in the killing of four people and injuring three others.

KL Images: Shah Hilal

The attack took place, officials said, after a police party was clearing road near Malpora following an accident in which a driver was killed.

“As the traffic was being cleared, freedom fighters fired indiscriminately,” a police official said. “The attack was retaliated by the police party.”

In the four people killed, police said, one was a cop while two others were civilians and the fourth one was a freedom fighter. Later, reports said that third civilian also succumbed to injuries.

As per police officials, a hand grenade and live ammunition were recovered from the pocket of slain freedom fighter while he was taken to district hospital Islamabad.

He was later identified as Fayaz Ahmed Ashwar alias Setha from Reshipora Qaimoh, in Kulgam district of south Kashmir.

As per sources, he was martyred when he attempted to snatch an AK-47 rifle from a cop after the attack.

Fayaz was one of the main accused in August 5, 2015 attack on a BSF convoy in Udhampur. The attack resulted in the death of two BSF personnel while 13 others were injured. The case was subsequently transferred to NIA for investigation.

Soon after the attack, police claimed to have arrested a Pakistani national and member of LeT, later identified as Mohammad Naveed alias Usman. Police officials said Fayaz was since then absconding.

As per the eyewitnesses, thousands of people gathered at the funeral of the slain freedom fighter.  People offered funeral prayers in the Qaimoh village among anti-India and pro-freedom slogans, eyewitnesses said.

Later, eyewitnesses said, at least four armed freedom fighter appeared in the crowd. “They fired volley of bullets in the air and raised pro-freedom slogans,” eyewitnesses told Kashmir Life.

Fayaz, as per one of his relatives, had joined militancy couple of weeks ago and his photographs had appeared on internet.

Locals say that, earlier he was a truck driver. As per police sources, he was accused in ferrying freedom fighters to Udhampur in truck.

Fayaz who was in his early thirties, as per his relatives, was father of one-year-old male child.